Welcome to Nollywood Times

Welcome to Nollywood Times


How 30,000 Nigerian youths applied for BBNaija Season 5

Posted: 05 Jul 2020 12:30 AM PDT

No fewer than 30,000 Nigerian youths entered for the fifth edition of Big Brother Naija, BBNaija.

The organizers, MultiChoice Nigeria, made the disclosure on Saturday.

They were, however, silent on the number of housemates that will enter the BBNaija house in 2020.

Currently, those who made the final cut are in quarantine to ensure they are not exposed to coronavirus infection.

The Season 4 edition in 2019 featured a total of 26 participants.

They were Mercy, Mike, Frodd, Omashola, Seyi, Diane, Ike, Elozonam, Cindy, Tacha, Khafi, Venita, Sir Dee, Esther, Gedoni, Jackye, Joe, Enkay, Jeff, Nelson, Thelma, Tuoyo, Kim Oprah, Ella, Avala and Isilomo.

Chief Customer Officer, Martin Mabutho, revealed that the BBNaija prize money this year will be "the highest ever in the history of the show".

Last year, the winner Mercy Eke, went home with N30 million prize money.

Martin added that BBNaija will continue to provide "quality entertainment and value for the audience while exporting Nigerian culture to the world".

Football fans react after Hushpuppi was accused of conspiring to steal £100 million from an English Premier League club

Posted: 05 Jul 2020 12:00 AM PDT

The "English Premier League" is currently trending on Twitter and this is after Ramon Olorunwa Abbas a.k.a. "Ray Hushpuppi" was accused of conspiring to steal £100 million from a club in the UK. 

The Federal prosecutors who filed a criminal complaint on June 25, alleged that Hushpuppi is "one of the leaders of a transnational network that facilitates computer intrusions, fraudulent schemes (including BEC schemes), and money laundering, targeting victims around the world in schemes designed to steal hundreds of millions of dollars".

In a statement released by the US Department of Justice, the suspected Nigerian fraudster was accused of conspiring to launder hundreds of millions of dollars from other fraudulent schemes and computer intrusions, including one scheme to steal £100 million (approximately $124 million) from an English Premier League soccer club. Read here

The suspected Nigerian fraudster who was recently extradited from Dubai to the United States made his first court appearance this morning in Chicago, and he is expected to be transferred to Los Angeles in the coming weeks.

If convicted of conspiracy to engage in money laundering, Hushpuppi  would face a statutory maximum sentence of 20 years in federal prison.

Football fans are reacting with shock on Twitter with many wondering which of the English Premier League soccer clubs nearly became victim of fraud.

Read their tweets below







BBNaija's Nina, tells men and women who make false rape and sexual abuse claims

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 11:30 PM PDT

BBNaija star, Nina, has asked people to stop trying to ruin the lives of others by making false claims of rape or sexual assault/sexual abuse.

In a post shared on her Instastories, the soon to be mum, said men and women who make false claims of rape and sexual abuse need to be given a serious beating in the market square before they are dragged to court.

Read her post below.


Man's tweet goes viral after he revealed what became of his engagement ring after his girlfriend rejected his proposal

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 11:00 PM PDT

A man whose girlfriend rejected his marriage proposal decided to make the most of the situation by wearing the ring himself.

The Twitter user took to the platform to share a photo of him wearing the ring and it happened to fit perfectly.

"She said no so I'm wearing my s**t," he captioned the photo.

However, he doesn't plan on keeping the ring. He has asked that anyone who wants it should send him a direct message.



Woman dies after getting burnt while answering a phone call close to a gas cannister

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 10:30 PM PDT

A woman has died after suffering severe burns while answering a call close to her cooking gas.

Friends took to Facebook to share photos of her burns after the incident as they prayed for her to survive.

Unfortunately, her health took a turn for the worse and she died

Her friends are mourning her on Facebook while warning people to desist from answering phone calls near a cooking gas.

See below.






Writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie pens heartfelt words and clips of her and her father to mourn him

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 10:00 PM PDT

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is mourning her father, Professor James Nwoye Adiche, who died on June 10, 2020, at the age of 88.

In a tribute to him posted on Facebook, the renowned author detailed the events leading up to his death. She also spoke about some of the plans they made for the future.

She spoke of her pain; how she cried for days till her side muscles ached, how she screamed and pounded things, and how much she misses him.

She accompanied her words with a video showing her and her father together at different points in their life.

Professor Adichie, Odelu Ora Abba, was Nigeria's first professor of Statistics. He studied Mathematics at Ibadan and got his PhD in Statistics from Berkeley.

Mourning him, the Half of a Yellow Sun author wrote:

And just like that my life has changed forever. June 7, there was Daddy on our weekly family zoom call, talking and laughing. June 8, he felt unwell. Still, when we spoke he was more concerned about my concussion (I'd fallen while playing with my daughter).

June 9, we spoke briefly, my brother Okey with him. "Ka chi fo," he said. His last words to me. June 10, he was gone.

Because I loved my father so much, so fiercely, so tenderly, I always at the back of my mind feared this day. But he was in good health. I thought we had time. I thought it wasn't yet time. I have come undone. I have screamed, shouted, rolled on the floor, pounded things. I have shut down parts of myself.

"The children and I adore him," my mother wrote in a tribute when he was made professor emeritus. We are broken. We are bereft, holding on to one another, planning a burial in these COVID-scarred times. I am stuck in the US, waiting. The Nigerian airports are closed. Everything is confusing, uncertain, bewildering.

Sleep is the only respite. On waking, the enormity, the finality, strikes – I will never see my father again. Never again. I crash and go under. The urge to run and run, to hide from this. The shallow surface of my mind feels safest because to go deeper is to face unbearable pain. All the tomorrows without him, his wisdom, his grace.

We talked almost daily. I sent him my travel itineraries. He would text me just before I got on a stage: Ome ife ukwu! Nothing else mattered to me as much as the pride in his eyes.

I saw him last on March 5th in Abba. I had planned to be back in May. We planned to record his stories of my great grandmother.

Grief is a cruel kind of education. You learn how ungentle mourning can be, how full of anger. You learn that your side muscles will ache painfully from days of crying. You learn how glib condolences can feel.

My father was Nigeria's first professor of Statistics. He studied Mathematics at Ibadan and got his PhD in Statistics from Berkeley, returning to Nigeria shortly before the Biafran War. A titled Igbo man – Odelu Ora Abba – deeply committed to our hometown. A Roman Catholic with a humane and luminous faith. A gentle man and a gentleman.For those who knew him, these words recur: honest, calm, kind, strong, quiet, integrity.

I am writing about my father in the past tense, and I cannot believe that I am writing about my father in the past tense. My heart is broken.

Thank you to my darling brother Chuks Adichie for this video. Daddy's kindness lives on in you.

Watch the video shared by Chimamanda below.








Controversial ex international model Chika Lann defends her nude pictures trending on social media

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 09:00 AM PDT

However, she has come out to defend her actions by saying "A woman's body is an artwork".

The Lady popularly known by the acclaimed 40 million naira hair worth, Chika Lann Ex international model turn Nollywood film maker has been dragged and insulted on social media by her fans right after she released a series of Controversial nude pictures on her Instagram page.

Chika had a photoshoot were she was spotted naked, On the 30th of June 2020 she took to her Instagram page to release this series of nude pictures with daring captions that got the fans to question a lot about her.

Her photos gained its criticisms and also some admiration from fans on social media. Some fans went as far as to report the post, which was taken down.

Chika posted the same photo again with caption giving a stern warning to her fans not to report her post anymore. She also said that "A woman's body is a beautiful artwork"

Her fans didn't relent as more criticism flooded social media.


Chika in another post, went ahead to make a more daring post giving a kind advice to her fans to take a chill pill and relax, in her words:

"My body is a celebration of humanness."

"I can't cage it for the comfort of others."

So if you don't like what you see, just take a chill pill and close your eyes, or better still, UNFOLLOW.

Mai Oui! I play when I want to play, I get dirty when I want to get dirty. Ce ma vie! I am here to show myself and move on to the next stage before my next birth. So like me, hate me, I don't care. I live in my own planet. #unapologetic #wildfeminine #femmefatale "

See more photos below;




Big Brother Naija Pepper Dem Reunion show day 19:Venita & Kim Oprah trash their men issues

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 08:00 AM PDT

The latest episode was pretty much about exposing tactical players in guise, bro-code defaulters and dodging bullets.

Catch the highlights from the latest episode of Big Brother Naija Pepper Dem Reunion show.

If you missed episode 19, catch the highlights below:

Venita's Love Triangle
Ebuka revisited one of the controversial moments of the Pepper Dem season with Venita, Frodd and Omashola as principal players. Some of the housemates in attendance agreed that Omashola was smitten by Venita from the first day she walked into the house. Omashola had no qualms with this narrative as he admitted he was charged to shoot his shot before things went awry.

Things took a nosedive from Omashola's point of view when Frodd who he had initially implored to hands off Venita became a matter of attention with how he constantly remained in Venita's space while blocking his chances.

Subsequently, Omashola admitted that the times he bickered with Frodd was primarily from the place of betrayal and rejection that he felt. Kissing Esther was another pay back move aimed at Frodd.

Frodd's reaction wasn't anticipated and if you didn't miss the former episode's saga with Esther, you will hardly find it surprising. The reality star denied the bathroom talk between himself and Omashola happened. He also tried to dodge a conversation about knowing Venita had a relationship before the house.

The triangle's biggest loser turned out to be Venita who admitted that her situationship with Frodd cost her more outside the side.

All Hail Queen Kim Oprah, the master strategist

Although Kim Oprah tried hard to defend her opportunistic tendencies, the beauty queen turned reality star sold the narrative quite well.

Between Jeff and Omashola, Kim admitted she only sought to find an alliance and when Jeff's Head of House power dwindled and his arena games performances were not as targeted as she hoped, she hopped out and was on to the next one-Omoshola.

Davido features on Mayorkun's new single, 'Betty Butter'

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 07:00 AM PDT

A day ago, the song was teased on Mayorkun's Instagram page with a message to fans. The song is finally here.

Artist: Mayorkun featuring Davido

Song Title: Betty Butter

Genre: Afro-pop

Album: TBA

Date of release: July 3, 2020

Label: DMW

Producer: SperoachBeatz

Video Director: Clarence Peters

Details/Takeaway: A day ago, the song was teased on Mayorkun's Instagram page with a message to fans. The song is finally here.

You can play it below;


D'banj and wife Lineo Didi Kilgrow celebrates 4th wedding anniversary

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 06:00 AM PDT

Nigerian music star, Oyebanjo Dapo also known as D'banj is celebrating his 4th wedding anniversary with his wife, Lineo Didi Kilgrow.

The couple had a private wedding ceremony back in 2016.

In a posted shared via his Instagram page on Friday, July 3, 2020, the music star praises his wife as the mark yet another beautiful year together.

"To my beautiful wife, Heartbeat, love of my life, and Partner ❤️❤️❤️❤️........Happy Marriage Anniversary to us. You Mean Everything to me🙏🙏🙏🙏," he captioned the photo.


The two later welcomed their first child together in 2018, sadly they lost him to a swimming pool accident.

In 2019, the couple welcomed another son.

Omah Lay named the inaugural face of 'Africa Rising' artist program by Apple Music

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 05:30 AM PDT

Today, Apple Music announced 'Africa Rising,' a new bi-monthly artist program and companion playlist geared towards identifying, showcasing and elevating rising African talent. Nigerian-born, Afro-fusion singer and songwriter Omah Lay will be the debut artist for the new program.

"I have always used Apple Music, seeing my favorite artists on playlist covers and features but here I am looking pretty as Apple Music's first Africa Rising artist. I am overwhelmed, dreams really do come true," says Omah Lay.

Every two months, Africa Rising will feature an artist selected by Apple Music's editorial team on the continent and use the full force of the platform to amplify them to music fans in Africa and around the world.

The program also includes a companion playlist featuring the Africa Rising cover star plus the continent's hottest new and emerging artists across all genres.

"I'm so excited that my fellow Nigerian Omah Lay is Apple Music's first Africa Rising artist," said Cuppy, host of Apple Music's Africa Now Radio. "This new program and its playlist will elevate the next generation of African superstars and bring them to the world."

Omah's musical journey started during his teenage years as a member of the rap group, Lil King. A few years later he swapped performing for producing, quickly becoming Port Harcourt's go-to guy for a hit single, but he picked up the mic again when he realized he could use his newfound skills to advance his own career.

In 2019 he released two singles 'Do Not Disturb' and 'Hello Brother,' both of which ended up on heavy rotation on Port Harcourt's commercial stations, securing him a growing fanbase with each new milestone.

With a musical arsenal that draws from Afrobeats, R&B and pop, Omah's debut EP Get Layd, which he released under indie record label KeyQaad, has been the #1 album on Apple Music Nigeria since its release in May 2020, with all 5 songs from the EP featuring on the Nigerian Top 10 singles chart.

About the success of his first project as a solo artist, Omah Lay says in an interview with Nadeska Alexis airing this Friday on Apple Music: "I wasn't expecting all of this. I didn't expect it to happen this fast and so soon, you know what I mean? But I'm grateful. I just made music, I put it out, and everybody's loving it."

Listen to Omah Lay's latest Apple Music interview with Nadeska Alexis

What is Africa Rising?
Africa Rising is Apple Music's latest of many initiatives aiming to promote African talent.

Now available in 33 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, the platform recently launched its new show Africa Now Radio with Cuppy and a series of 'At Home With' playlists exclusively curated by top African artists including Simi, Fireboy DML, Sun El-Musician, Master KG and more. Last month Shazam launched the Mzansi Risers playlist in South Africa.

Apple Music also selected Nigerian Afropop star Rema as its latest Up Next artist, following the addition of Burna Boy to the roster last year and Mr Eazi back in 2017. Up Next is Apple Music's global emerging artist program.

Rema releases new single, 'Woman'

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 05:00 AM PDT

A few days ago, Rema told Ozedikus and Burssbrain to link up with him in the studio. Word on the street says, the result was 'Woman.'

Artist: Rema

Song Title: Woman

Genre: Amapiano, Gqom, Afro-house

Album: TBA

Date of release: July , 2020

Label: Jonzing/MAVIN

Producer: Ozedikus

Video Director: TBA

Details/Takeaway: A few days ago, Rema told Ozedikus and Burssbrain to link up with him in the studio. Word on the street says, the result was 'Woman.' The song is out and you can listen below;


Talking points from Omah Lay's chat with Nadeska Alexis on Apple Music

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 04:30 AM PDT

On July 3, 2020, Nigerian singer, Omah Lay got featured as the inaugural face of 'Africa Rising' artist program by Apple Music. As a result he had a chat with Nadeska Alexis, popularly known as one of the hosts of 'Everyday Struggle' on Complex.

Here are some of the picks;

Omah Lay talks about the success of 'Get Layd'

"I wasn't expecting all of this. I didn't expect it to happen this fast and so soon, you know what I mean? But I'm grateful. I just made music, I put it out, and everybody's loving it. And I'm really grateful."

Omah Lay talks about transitioning from a producer to an artist

"I was a music producer and about a year ago I put out a few of my songs, a few songs that I made for myself, 'Do Not Disturb' and 'Hello Brother.' And then I got a deal, I had to move down to Lagos from my city. And I made 'Get Layd' and where I'm at today. And I'm grateful again.

"Maybe I wasn't confident enough but I didn't know that I could be this guy right now. I didn't know that people would enjoy my music this much. So I felt more comfortable just staying in the studio and making music for other people, but the time I tried with 'Do Not Disturb,' I put out my first song, 'Do Not Disturb,' and the reception was really amazing, so I had to run with it, and I put out 'Hello Brother,' and yeah. I grew more confident, and I started making more music, and I got my deal with KeyQaad."

Omah Lay talks about finding his love for music and idolizing Drake

"You know, growing up and always being with my dad, he played a lot of highlife music, and growing up listening to Drake a lot, with time I just started making beats. You know, I started rapping, and I wanted to be so much like Drake, when I was really young, I just wanted to be Drake."

"I was just a rapper. I was a rapper then I decided to enhance my music skill by becoming a music producer. I stopped rapping and, yeah, I was a music producer for a long time, for about four or five years, I was just making beats for people and writing songs for other people. So just about last year, I decided to take it up professionally."

Omah Lay talks about writing 'Bad Influence'

"While I was working on the 'Get Layd' project, I actually stayed away from my social media follow and I stayed away from a lot of things. I was just trying to get my head straight so I can get my message right, you know? While I was working on the 'Get Layd' project, I decided to just do something for my Instagram followers, and at that time I had just 1,500 Instagram followers, you know?

"So I had decided to make something for them to just listen to while I am off. So I made 'Bad Influence,' and everybody was like, 'Yo, we need the full version of the song. This song is something else.' And I went back and I completed it, and it is what it is today. It wasn't even supposed to be on the 'Get Layd' EP, you know? But people request that for the song a lot, that we just had to put it on the EP."

Omah Lay talks about writing 'You' and his songwriting process

"You' was like my first official single. I and my team, we wanted to put out a single before the 'Get Layd' project, so I had three versions of 'You.' I really don't know how everything happened, but it happened so fast that, and 'You' is there right now. I don't know why. I don't even know what to say about the song (laughs)"

"When I had the 'You' beat, I had the beat and the beat was superb, you know? I dive straight in. I started making the records. I made the first version and second version, and 'You' was the last version. This is usually how my process is. I try to make three different songs with the same beat."

Omah Lay talks about his sound

"At the end, I make Afrobeats. African. This is what we do. In my own making of Afrobeats, I don't like to get myself all boxed in, what it should sound like. I try my best to search every single place, you know, every single style. I want to do reggae, I want to do dancehall, but at the end, I want to do Afrobeat. So I'm not trying to be boxed in."

Omah Lay talks about self-criticism

"Being a producer, I've heard so much. I've listened to a lot of songs, and I always want mine to sound the best, so every time I make a record, I'm always doubting it. But at the end, you know, everybody around me is enjoying it, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it's really affecting my craft. But I think it is just like you said, it's a gift and a curse at the same time.

"That was the same thing with the whole 'Get Layd' EP. I didn't like any song from that EP apart from 'Bad Influence'. I didn't like any of the songs. I felt like there was a lot of songs in the trash that was better than the songs on the EP, but my whole team and everybody, in fact, my parents, my brothers, everybody thinks these ones are good enough to be in the project, so I just give it up for them."

BBNaija's Thelma hints on being a virgin

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 04:00 AM PDT

One of the former housemates from the fourth season of Big Brother Naija, Thelma Ibemere has given fans and admirers a heads-up about her virginity status.

The reality TV star is becoming famous for her interesting and controversial tweets.

The reality TV star took to her Twitter page on Thursday, July 2, 2020, where she claimed that she has never been with any man.

"Hubby will have to pay my bride price x2... cos if I was a car, I haven't been driven Frowning face two heartsTwo hearts. Tear rubber. #fearlessthelma #thelmabbn," she tweeted.


Ibemere who went silent after her stay in the Big Brother's house found herself making the headlines a few weeks ago.

The reality TV star had taken to Twitter where she threw shades at fellow housemate, Natasha Akide also known as Tacha.

BBNaija's Cee-C says she is not dating Ghanaian actor Mawuli Gavor

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 03:30 AM PDT

Former housemate of the reality show, Big Brother Naija, Cynthia Nwadiora also known as Cee-C has downplayed the rumours of dating Ghanaian actor, Mawuli Gavor.

There has been speculations about the reality TV star being romantically linked to the Ghanaian actor.

The reality TV star in a post shared via her Instagram page on Friday, July 3, 2020, put to rest the insinuation that she was dating the actor.

"Dad: Cynthia all these people they are saying you are dating on social media when you obviously didn't have anything other than work with them," she wrote.


"You need to say something about it because it will chase the real ones, they will think you are no longer in the market. Me: Daddy which market exactly, Balogun or computer village??🤷🏽‍♀️😌😂."

This is not the first time the reality TV star will be caught in the web of imaginary relationships with other celebrities.


Recall that in 2019, there were speculations that she was in a secret romantic relationship with music star, Perruzi, after appearing in his music video.

Dubai police handover Hushpuppi to the US

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 03:00 AM PDT

Dubai Police on Thursday announced that Nigerian Instagram celebrity, Raymond Abbas, popularly known as Hushpuppi, and his gang members have been extradited to the United States over money-laundering and multiple-cybercrimes.

The Police made this disclosure in a statement while noting that the Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Christopher Wray has praised the exceptional efforts exerted in the arrest of Hushpuppi and Woodberry.

The statement reads in full: "The Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Christopher Wray has praised the exceptional efforts exerted by the United Arab Emirate, represented bu the Dubai Police General HQ, in combating transnational organised cybercrime including the recent arrest of Raymond Igbalode Abbas, known as "Hushpuppi" and Olalekan Jacon Ponle aka "Woodberry" who was taken down in opetation "Fox Hunt 2"."

"Mr Wray also extended his appreciations to Dubai Police for their cooperation in extraditing the wanted criminals, who committed money-laundering and multiple-cybercrimes, to the United States."

It can be recalled that Hushpuppi and Woodbery were arrested with 10 other suspects on allegations of fraud.

Ifu Ennada shares thoughts on broke people being in relationships

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 02:30 AM PDT

When it comes to relationships, everyone has their preferences on the type of partners they would love to be with, and Ifu Ennada is making hers known.

She recently left many people talking after she took to social media to bash financially poor people, saying they have no business being in relationships.

The 2018 BBNaija star advised men who may want to send her a DM, against craving for every 'food' they see.

She went on to reveal that when she was broke, she wasn't looking for a meal ticket or a rich man to date. Instead she was focused on changing her situation.

She wrote: "Men should learn to understand their size/type in women. Before you open your DM to type "ello babi" to me, abeg look me well and give yourself sense. No be every food suppose hungry every man to chop.

Deadbeat broke men/women have no business being in a relationship or getting married. When I was terribly broke, I was focused on changing my situation, not looking for a meal ticket or a rich man to date."


Kim Oprah – “My mood determines my accent”

Posted: 04 Jul 2020 02:00 AM PDT

BBNaija star, Kim Oprah explains in a new video that she switches accents seamlessly depending on the mood she is in.

Ibinabo Opara, popularly known as Kim Oprah has finally addressed those who have been trolling her on different platforms for communicating in different 'fake' accents.

Speaking on how she acquired the accents, the beautiful lady who was privileged to grace Big Brother reality show said she acquired the accents from the programs she watches on tv.

She added that her mood determines the kind of accent she needs to use to express herself "I can be sober one moment then boom, switch it up"


Addressing her trolls, Kim said she wonders whether they are getting paid for it and advised them to use their time for something more productive.

Watch video below:

Previous
Next Post »