Free Technology for Teachers - 2 new articles

As I mentioned in this week's Practical Ed Tech Newsletter, Google Earth and digital mapping is an area of ed tech that I still get excited about after all these years. Google Earth is a tool that people often think of as being something that's only ...

Click here to read this mailing online.

Your email updates, powered by FeedBlitz

Here are the latest updates for nurhasaan10@gmail.com


"Free Technology for Teachers" - 2 new articles

  1. How to Measure Perimeter and Area in Google Earth
  2. How to Add Collaborators to Google Calendar
  3. More Recent Articles

How to Measure Perimeter and Area in Google Earth

As I mentioned in this week's Practical Ed Tech Newsletter, Google Earth and digital mapping is an area of ed tech that I still get excited about after all these years

Google Earth is a tool that people often think of as being something that's only useful for social studies lessons. However, there are many areas in which Google Earth is useful. One of those areas is in elementary school and middle school math lessons. 

Within the web version of Google Earth there is an easy-to-use tool for measuring distances long and short. You can use this tool to quickly measure a distance between two places, to measure perimeter, and to measure area. In the short video that is embedded below I demonstrate how to measure perimeter and area in Google Earth. 

Video - How to Measure Perimeter and Area in Google Earth

 


On a related note, completing my Around the World With Google Earth activity is a great way for students to learn how to use Google Earth and to create Google Earth projects.
   

How to Add Collaborators to Google Calendar

As I'm sure many of you do, I often play the role of "tech support person" for friends and family. That was the case a few days ago when a friend of mine who owns a local, small business asked for help with Google Calendar. 

My friend wanted a quick and easy way for his one and only employee to view a list of upcoming appointments and deadlines. My suggestion was to simply create a shared Google Calendar. 

In the short video that is embedded below I demonstrate how to add collaborators to Google Calendar

 

Applications for Education
When I taught a PC repair class that took in external projects, I created a shared Google Calendar so that my students could see when we took in a project, when parts would be available, and when we estimated to return the computer to the user. 
   

More Recent Articles


Previous
Next Post »