Word of the Day: Nictitation

Can you pronounce nictitation?
Word Daily
Tuesday, March 5, 2024
Nictitation
WD
Listen to Word
noun 1. Winking, blinking.
EXAMPLE SENTENCES
Play Button "The wind blew dust in my eyes and the ensuing nictitation and eye watering ruined my mascara."
Play Button "Our family photo on the beach managed to catch the exact moment of nictitation for half of us."
Play Button "I thought that man was flirting with me, but when I approached him he told me his nictitation was because something was stuck in his eye."
Ads help keep Word Daily free.
Latin, late 18th century
Why This Word?
Nictitation, meaning "winking, blinking," is the noun form of "nictate," the verb that means "to blink." For people, blinking is an involuntary process that keeps the eyes lubricated and protects them from any debris. ...
Continue Reading
Crossword Club
Do you remember these words?
Accoutrement Bissextile Consentient
Armamentarium Parisology Proficuous
Thank you for supporting our advertisers.
WD Privacy Policy  •  Terms of Use  •  Contact Us
3419 Via Lido, #657 Newport Beach, CA 92663
Advertisements powered by LiveIntent • AdChoices AdChoices
Previous
Next Post »